Re-modelling of the Castle in the Tudor Period

The work Humphrey Ferrers commissioned between 1576 and 1607 included: 

  1. Altering the external wall on the north side of the castle by installing bay windows into first floor dining room, Day Parlour and ante-chamber.  
  2. Enlargement of the garrets floor on the 2nd storey on the north range, made of brick.
  3. Built NE stair turret. An inner staircase lobby linked the hall to the first floor reception rooms. 
  4. Tower staircase from 1st floor to second floor: A staircase running from the Lady's Chamber up to the Guard Room. A cupboard now conceals the alcove where the spiral staircase was once located leading to the 2nd floor Guard room.
  5. Construction of the Elizabethan wing on the south side of the castle: a 3 storeys high with ogee shaped gables at south front. 
  6. Storeyed Porch. The porch has a Loggia. The Ferrers room canted bay window is similar to the former windows on the front of the south range.